Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Blog # 2 Lana McNeil

Blog # 2


1.      The biggest challenge for L2 writers is simply the complex nature of writing. Writing requires students to be instructed in a subject which is complex and extensive. Instruction is needed in vocabulary, organization, as well as rhetorical devices. When learning a new language, we are first exposed to speaking/listening components. As we have learned speaking does not equal writing and in most cases our students have not had the advantage of formal writing classes. In other words, my students can often tell me the answer but they have no idea how to put it on paper to demonstrate that they have mastered the lesson.  Another area for concern is the psychological aspect of writing. Some students avoid writing because of lack of confidence and fear of criticism. The act of writing lends its self to a higher degree of scrutiny that can be a cause for concern among L2 learners.
2.      With my students on the secondary level the first thing I want to know is where they come from and how did they get to me. Is there a sponsoring agency involved in the decision to locate in Abilene?  Was there a traumatic situation that brought them to the U.S. and any other information about home life and/or demographics. Once we get past all of this I can begin to delve into educational background and which language the student/family use as L1, often it is different from what is listed. Once I gain the trust of the children I try to access them monthly and we move through basic language skills as quickly as possible.

3.      I believe in knowing all you can about the institution where I am working. Being a high school teacher in Texas the rules and regulations are all out there for the world to see. The public perception is that the curriculum is prescribed and there is very little room for teacher discretion, that was my experience with general English classes. Now that I am in a Title III class I have much more freedom.  I find that I need to keep up with legislative actions on a daily basis. The refugee/asylee situation is new ground for Texas and things change daily. I work to keep up with all legislation and world events in an attempt to stay ahead of the curve. Being well informed has served me well in advocating for the needs of the student population I serve.

1 comment:

  1. Lana,
    I am assuming you work in Abilene? I just learned about the large refugee population in your district! I'm sure many of these students academic backgrounds prove a challenge in the classroom. I think it's great to point out whether or not their transition to America was traumatic or not. I tend to forgot about this aspect, but it has a great influence on their learning!

    ReplyDelete