Friday, June 10, 2016

Blog # 1

1.   As a teacher I would most like to see my students improve their comprehension skills. The major issue I have found with the writing assignments we have is there is a major disconnect between what the prompt and the ability of my students to interpret and understand. I completely understand why and chapter 1 covers the issue in the prior knowledge discussion. My students fit into the schema theory lacking the life experiences to successfully comprehend and then analyse a text in order to respond to a prompt.

2.  I think writing comes from a desire and need to communicate. By nature we are social creatures and seek out interaction with other humans, writing is simply another way to interact with others. I think it also offers a permanence that we find comforting on a psychological level. It appeals to humans on many levels but originally it was a means of communication.

3.  One of my goals is to teach my students to communicate on a level which will allow them to function in their new country. This means developing reading and writing skills which allow them to not just survive high school, but thrive as they become new citizens. I want them to continue to embrace their L1 while learning English and be proud of both cultures.

4.  The diversity in the development of writing systems probably has to do with geography and culture. The traditions passed down through generations along with religious influences almost have a strong part to play in cultural development. Also, resources available at any given time affect social development. The best way to learn any writing system is practice and exposure along with formal instruction.

5.   Writing in an additional language could confuse a learner if the two languages have unique and different syntax. Once the basic instruction is accomplished I think that being literate in one language helps in the development of literacy of a second language. My experience thus far has been that my students which have received formal education in their native language do far better than the students that do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment